4510: Gender, Crime and the Criminal Justice System
Spring 2022 Calendar
This course is meets
Wednesdays and Fridays 2:20pm - 3:30pm EST
This is a tentative reading list for the
Assignments are due on Friday nights at Midnight for the week in which
they are assigned.
There is a two day grace period for late assignments. After that, there
is a 20% late penalty per day.
Introduction to Gender and Crime
- Textbook, Chapter 1
- FBI's UCR for 2019
- BJS's NCVS Crime Victimization Report for 2019
- Burgess-Proctor, Amanda. (2006). "Intersections of Race, Class,
Gender, and Crime." Feminist Criminology. 1(1):27-47.
Theories of Victimization
Rape and Sexual Assault
- Textbook, Chapter 3
- Bieneck, S., & Krahe, B. (2011). "Blaming the victim and
exonerating the perpetrator in cases of rape and robbery: Is there a
double standard?" Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 26, 1785–1797.
- "Blaming the Victim"
- "Threat vs. Risk"
- RAINN Website
- National Sexual
Violence Resource Center Website
Intimate Partner Abuse and Stalking
- Textbook, Chapter 4
- Hoppe et al. 2020. "Mandatory arrest for domestic violence and
repeat offending: A meta-analysis." Aggression and Violent Behavior,
- Justin Nix & Tara N. Richards (2021) "The immediate and
long-term effects of COVID-19 stay-at-home orders on domestic violence
calls for service across six U.S. jurisdictions." Police Practice and
Research, 22:4, 1443-1451.
- Sarah M. Peitzmeier et al. “Intimate Partner Violence in Transgender
Populations: Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Prevalence and
Correlates.” American Journal of Public Health 110, no. 9 (September
1, 2020): pp. e1-e14.
- Homework 2 - IPV
Review and prepare for the first exam
Exam 1: Introduction, Chapters 1 - 4
Women, Gender, and Offending
- Textbook, Chapter 6
- Sutton, Tara. 2017. "The Lives of Female Gang Members." Aggression and Violent Behavior. 37:142-152.
- Belknap, Joanne and Kristi Holsinger. 2006. "The Gendered Nature of
Risk Factors for Delinquency." Feminist Criminology.
- Homework 3 - Female Offending
Girls, Gender, and Juvenile Delinquency
Female Offenders and their Crimes
- Textbook, Chapter 8
- Estrada, Felipe, Anders Nilsson, and Olaf Backman. 2017. "The gender
gap in crime is decreasing, but who's growing equal to whom?"
Sociologisk Forskning. 54(4):359-363.
- Coy, Maddy, Cherry Smiley, and Meagan Tyler. 2019. "Challenging the
'Prostitution Problem': Dissenting Voices, Sex Buyers, and the Myth of
Neutrality in Prostitution Research. Archives of Sexual Behavior.
- Video - The Andrea Yates Case: Insanity on Trial
- Homework 4: Female Offenders
Review and prepare for the second exam.
Exam 2: Chapters 5 - 8
Processing and Sentencing of Female Offenders
- Textbook, Chapter 9
- Steffensmeier, Darrell, Noah Painter-Davis, and Jeffrey Ulmer. 2016.
"Intersectionality of Race, Ethnicity, Gender, and Age on Criminal
Punishment." Sociological Perspectives. 60(4):1-24.
- BJS Report: Prisoners in 2020
The Supervision of Women: Community Corrections, Rehabilitation, and Reentry
- Textbook, Chapter 10
- Scroggins, Jennifer R. and Sara Malley. 2010. "Reentry and the
(Unmet) Needs of Women." Journal of Offender Rehabilitation.
- Ohio's Risk Assessment Tools
- PATTERN Risk Assessment Tool
- Homework 5 - Community Corrections
The Supervision of Women: Corrections
- Textbook, Chapter 11
- Maya Manian. 2020. "Immigration Detention and Coerced Sterilization:
History Tragically Repeats Itself" ACLU News. Access here.
- APA Statement: "End the Use of Restraints on Incarcerated Women and
Adolescents during Pregnancy, Labor, Childbirth, and
Recovery." Access here.
Police, Corrections, and Offender Services
- Text, Chapter 12
- Alecci, Scilla and George Steptoe. 2016. "Dangers for Female Prison
Guards." The New York Times Video. Access here.
- Media Exercise
Courts and Victim Services
- Text, Chapter 13
- Liebenberg, Roberta and Stephanie A. Scharf. 2019. "Walking Out the
Door: The Facts, Figures, and Future of Experienced Women Lawyers in
Private Practice." American Bar Association.
- Demography of Article III Juges, 1789-2020. Access here.
- Justices of the Supreme Court. Access here.
Review and prepare for the third exam.
Exam 3: Chapters 9 - 13
This syllabus is © 2022, Reiter. All rights reserved.